High Performance Olds

THE High Performance Oldsmobile Website!
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:52 pm 

Had our last race of the year here. Usually October is in the 30s for a low and 50s for a high in temperature. This time it was 70s for a low and in the 80s and even 90s for a high temperature. First pass wednesday ran the car in normal configuration. 1.55 60 foot ,11.35 at 117. Next pass with no air filter but the base with foam seal to the hood went 1.54 60 foot and 11.38 at 117 in hotter air so I would say removing the air filter did nothing. Next pass thursday was in cool morning air, I decided to try something I have never done before and ran open headers. I built a 3 1/2 inch mandrel bent X pipe exhaust with good mufflers so I don`t have to go through the pain in the butt of crawling under the car to pull a restrictive system every time I race. A friend of mine and I were debating if it would run any better without the exhaust. He theorized rather than being a restriction the 3 1/2 inch exhaust would possibly over scavenge the engine and lose power that way. I figured if it went any faster it would be due to losing somewhere around 60 pounds of weight. Next pass was 1.556 60 foot with slight spin and a 11.33 at 117. Pretty much the same as with the exhaust on. With open headers the car was much louder, the car vibrated and shook and sounded meaner but went really no faster. The next pass on friday with open headers it spun to a lousy 1.59 60 foot and I pedaled it which I have never done before. It loaded the manifold with too much fuel and bogged at the top of first gear into second and slowed to an 11.40 at 117. Saturday, with the exhaust back on went 1.55 60 and 11.35 at 117. Next pass in the afternoon heat went 1.55 60 with an 11.40 at 116.
There is a lesson to be learned here especially for a street car. Build yourself a good non restrictive exhaust system. The car drives much nicer and smoother, you can concentrate better at the tree, you don`t have to lay on hot pavement and pull off hot exhaust to run open headers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:56 pm 

Man post up some racing for those of us who have cars to race and no cash. :lol: